Allspice (Pimenta dioica), also called Jamaica pepper, pepper, myrtle pepper, pimenta, pimento, newspice, is the dried unripe fruit of a tree native to the Greater Antilles, southern Mexico, and Central America. This spice is now cultivated all around the world. The fruits of the tree are picked when green and unripe and are dried in the sun. When fully dry, they are brown and resemble large brown peppercorns. Allspice is one of the most important ingredients of Caribbean cuisine. It is used in Caribbean jerk seasoning.
Here are 7 health benefits of allspice.
1. Allspice can assist in energy production making you feel more energized. Manganese helps your body metabolize glucose. One tablespoon of allspice contains 9 percent of the mineral manganese, which is an essential cofactor in many enzymes important in energy production.
2. Allspice can help you have a healthy blood count. Copper and iron are essential for the new blood cell formation. A deficiency in iron can lead to anemia, fatigue, and muscular weakness.
3. Allspice can help improve brain functioning. The amount of iron in allspice lead to increased hemoglobin production and increases blood flow. Proper amounts of oxygen and iron in the brain lead to increased cognitive performance and a decrease in cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
4. Allspice can help individuals maintain blood pressure. Per tablespoon, allspice contains 62.6 milligrams of potassium. Also, chili pepper contains very little sodium with only 4.6 milligrams per tablespoon. This combination with folate also contributes to the reduction of hypertension and relaxes blood vessels, while maintaining proper blood flow.
5. Allspice can help individuals have a better night's sleep. Allspice can help individuals sleep with its content of magnesium, which is a mineral that is directly linked to improving the quality, duration, and tranquility of sleep. Allspice can also help regulate the metabolism, in order to help reduce sleep disorders and the occurrence of insomnia.
6. Allspice can help you fight infections in your body. Vitamin C is a powerful natural water-soluble antioxidant that helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and eliminates cancer-causing free radicals in the body. Manganese can also boost your antioxidant defenses. For example, some enzymes disarm free radicals produced within the mitochondria (the energy production factories within our cells), which require manganese.
7. Allspice is great for keeping the hair and skin vibrant and strong. Adequate vitamin C intake does not only improve the immune system, can also create and maintain collagen, an important protein found in hair and skin.